Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Way Out of No Way

Last week I taught a Doctor of Ministry course/seminar at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia entitled "A Way Out of No Way: African American Religious Education." While I have used portions of the African American educational experience in various courses, this was the first time that I was able to focus a course solely on this area. I was impressed by the students: their questions, and the integration of the material with their present ministry contexts. I look forward to reading their book reviews and term papers. I also wish them well as they continue their studies. All are working and pursuing this professional degree. Their stories brought back memories of my time in parish ministry in Cleveland and studying at John Carroll University and the University of Akron. There was no idle time.

At the end of this month it will be a year since I completed my teaching at Gettysburg Seminary. The year went rapidly. Retirement is an adjustment. The on-going encounters with colleagues and students are no longer assumed. I wonder what the feelings and thoughts of  friends and colleagues have been upon their retirements.

This year found me switching gears; forming new ways of self-identification. In the coming year, I hope to be about community outreach. One of my goals for retirement is to become a tutor for the Adult Literacy Council in Adams County. I registered for the next workshop that will take place at the beginning of February. The world was open to me due to literacy; perhaps I can expand the world for those who struggle to communicate through the written word. My brother-in-law is an adult literacy tutor in Brooklyn, New York at the Brooklyn Public Library and finds it challenging and rewarding. I'll give an update on this project as it comes to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment